Thursday, December 07, 2006

Essays & qualitative research

I'm still struggling to write essays, but was cheered by an exercise in the Doctoral Training Workshop this week. Writing Tutor (WT) gave us a set of six short excerpts of writing to criticise. These included one on science, one on stats, one on discourse analysis and one on object modelling complete with diagram. At last here was something that I recognised, something from my computing experience. However, no one else in the room had any understanding of the topic, whereas some knew and had experience of aspects of qualitative research such as discourse analysis. Earnest student (ES) enthused how easy it was to read the discourse analysis, and student in wheelchair (SiC) said that it seemed to be written in every day language! "Ah! - Not", thought I. And must have said it aloud because ES at the far end of the room, caught my eye and looked amused.

Anyhow, it gave me the opportunity to explain to WT that if everyone else in the room had had to start learning about objects, draw models and use them within two months of starting the course, in the way that I've had to learn about qualitative methods and write essays, then they would be struggling and be as despondent as much as I am.

Friendly student (FS) pointed out that eventually I would be able to write essays whereas she will never be able to (and doesn't want to) create object models.

No comments: