Sunday, November 05, 2006

Masters in Research - why I'm doing this

At the EPRSC web site, it says a Masters in Research is a sub-brand within the masters training framework, full-time (not so because the OU does a part time one) as an enhanced route to a PhD through research.
That's one reason I'm doing this. Here are some others:
  • for the process;
  • because I've wanted to since I was in my late twenties;
  • to prove that I can;
  • to learn to write;
  • to contribute to knowledge;
  • to find out;
  • for a better career - they've raised the hurdles ;
  • to be competitive;
  • to get things done;
  • have a long term goal;
  • think;
  • be expert on my subject;
  • to have command of my subject;
  • to know something really well;
  • because I enjoy reading;
  • for the buzz of finding out, for the buzz of new knowledge;
  • to discover things;
  • to be in an environment with a lot of intelligent and thinking people;
  • to practise thinking
  • to change the world a little.

Our tutor in the doctoral training workshop said we should write out our reasons now at the beginning of the three or four years because there would be times when we'd need reminding.

There's advice at http://www.suslik.org/Writings/phd.html on doing a part time PhD, though it is worth while reading for full timers too.

No comments: