Saturday, June 09, 2007

Positive progress

"General direction and focus is encouraging"
wrote Supervisor #2 on my recent proposal. He even thought that I could get some papers from the research. So I feel a lot happier than I did when he returned my last B852 TMA. He and S#1 were extremely helpful yesterday showing me how to tighten up wording, pointing out and rewriting bad research questions, avoiding the wrong arguments or stands. I have to:
  1. revise the draft proposal
  2. start collecting data
  3. read Miller [1] on the different versions of clients
  4. and write S#2 a couple of pages on the project, people and accountability that I'm asking about, together with an interview schedule.
I must remember that a constructionist view is, I think, that of a single person, rather than the social constructivist perspective that builds together.

They pointed out my research questions were ontologically social constructionist, and therefore a wording 'to what extent..?' was wrong because it implied a quantitative approach, and they should read 'How', and be descriptive.

Then, when I asked if they thought I should apply for the doctorate they even looked slightly surprised that I was considering asking, as if it had been an expectation, rather than the nightmare I was suffering.




Miller, Eric, 1993 From Dependency to Autonomy: studies in organization and change, Free Association Books, London

No comments: