Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Relooking at the literature

I've gone back over the literature review chapter- it's quite depressing because now I think I don't really have incisive research questions, and am not clear how I get any questions from the review at all. If I haven't set a question, then what is my research answering.

I've rewritten the section on accountability again. And again. My supervisors want a definition, but I'm not sure that a definition is good enough, because that makes it sound like you can get a grip on accountability but it's too nebulous to grip.

I've talked about Sinclair's discourses of accountability, and Bovens analysis of accountability in the public sector and Siegel-Jacobs and Yates research comparing outcome and procedural accountability seems important. Agency theory matters and I've drawn diagrams to show how I'm applying it to multiple accountors and accountees.





And that moves me on nicely to discussing consultants, clients and relationships.



Bovens, M. 2005 Public Accountability in The Oxford Handbook of Public Management, draft, L. Lynne C., Pollitt (eds.), Oxford, Oxford University Press
Siegel-Jacobs, K and Yates, J.F., (1996). "Effects of Procedural and Outcome Accountability on Judgment Quality" Organizational behavior and human decision processes 65 (1): 1–17.
Sinclair, A., 1995, The Chameleon of Accountability: forms and discourses, Accounting, Organizations and society 20(2/3.): 219-237

No comments: