Friday, August 17, 2007

Restructuring

I've reordered material from the draft dissertation so that the analysis covers roles and application of agency theory to the data. That takes out loads of material from the chapter that has to be called interpretation. What's the difference between analysis and interpretation?

I think the analysis bits are where I've applied ideas from Miles and Huberman, used codes, rich picture (Checkland) and drawn up a role-ordered matrix.

That's quite helpful because it shows where the roles match Schein's concepts of client types. Then I put that analysis on to my agency theory diagram so I can see the chain of links, and back stitch links between various accountors.

The interpretation bit needs a bit more thought. I've linked it from the analysis by occasionally picking up ideas in the analysis and suggesting they are new to this case. For example, the analysis identified incidents of accountability despite that participant saying he/she couldn't think of one or didn't understand the question, so I thought that was unconscious acting of accountability and something to follow up in the interpretation.

Funny how writing helps you think. It seemed to me that that unconscious acting was a reaction to a situation, so the participant demonstrated reactive accountability, and that meant I realised that the other planned accountability was proactive. And that leads me to my last, not yet properly written chapter on findings.

No comments: