Sunday, April 15, 2007

Accountability: the word and the concept

Melvin Dubnick makes the distinction [1] between accountability as a word and as a concept.

As a concept it is really difficult to explain, which is why I used a cloud of cotton wool as a metaphor for it in my presentation last week. Accountability seems to change to suit the way the context blows it, who the person in the context is who has to account, and the person being accounted to.

As a word, it is fascinating. Dubnick is right that there isn't a common language to translate it. My French is reasonable, so I tried to translate it and thought it might be "responsibilité " as my old Collins Robert doesn't give accountability, but only accountable, which translates to "responsable". But then I found a French Canadian paper that uses the word "imputabilité". I discussed it with our Spanish lodger who suggested "responsabilidad" and I've found in the Collins Easy Learning Spanish "to be accountable to someone" is "responder ante alguien", which don't seem quite the same. One of my Chinese colleagues looked thoughtful and said that she couldn't think of an exact translation in Chinese. I don't know if she was looking for the word "accountability" or a way of expressing the concept.

If it is so difficult to catch the meaning, then how much more difficult is it to enact accountability, particularly when there are so many people in an organisation who must account for a decision and actions, and so many stakeholders?




[1] Dubnick, 2002, Seeking Salvation for Accountability

No comments: