Friday, April 13, 2007

B852 ECA progress

Progress is slow. I have the structure, but that is given by the format of the question. I know the content for both sections, but need to put it together. To my surprise I can see a logic forming that links the two sections.

In the paper I'm reviewing, there is x, but it could be y and z isn't dealt with. Therefore in my proposed research I'm going to use y and deal with y in the light of z.

That is, the research (by Gable) is a statistical analysis in the positivist paradigm of the factors that predict success when engaging external consultants, which means that Gable believes it is possible to measure success factors. Therefore my proposed research will take the view from the opposing paradigm, that is from the constructivist perspective, that as it isn't possible to measure what makes for a successful project, then I'll research projects by collecting and analysing data that comes from project documentation, supplemented with interviews. Analysis will use the hermeneutic method. (See Forster[2]))

How does that sound?


[1] A multidimensional model of client success when engaging external consultants. By: Gable, Guy G.. Management Science, Aug96, Vol. 42 Issue 8, p1175
[2]
Forster, N, The Analysis of company Documentation in Cassell, Symon, (Eds) 1994, Qualitative Methods in Organizational Research: a practical guide, Sage

No comments: