Sunday, April 08, 2007

Grilling toast and essay writing

I like my toast done one side, so I grill it, but my family distract me.

"Have you seen the soil dug up from the camellia pots?"
"No."
"Come and look."

I go, but remember to pull the grill pan out first. The pots have had small hazelnut trees growing in them, but we didn't plant them. Thinking Man in my Life has realised that squirrels are digging for nuts, for nuts that they buried there earlier, and we see the mess. "Caught grey handed!" announces step daughter #3. TMimL leaves for the allotment and I return to toasting, but then realise that I've got easter eggs for one daughter and not for others, so dash after TMimL to check chances of finding some spare eggs! None! I return to the smell of burned toast. Damn.

Similarly, I sit down to work out the argument in my writing. Accountability is a social relationship and I insert what Bovens says about it being formal or informal. Then hear,

"Are you coming, Mum?"

from daughter leaving for church. I feel guilty at missing because Easter is one day of the year when I really want to go.

"Because if you are, you should come now."

I know; it'll be full unless I arrive half an hour early, but on the other hand, I will be tense because I've not yet written what I want to, then I'll be grumpy when I have to be sociable. I stay and return to my writing, but can't remember what I was thinking about. It was something to do with Bovens and how the argument fitted types of accountability.

Like I scraped off a few bits of burned toast, I scratch out a few sentences and start again. With toast, I know I'll eventually run out of bread to toast. I wonder if I have enough interruptions, I'll eventually run out of any coherent thought

No comments: