Friday, July 13, 2007

Data access

How odd! From waiting for weeks for the first interview that would set me off on this project, I suddenly get two more, with no or almost no notice.

I'd emailed someone on Friday, having found the email address through Google, so I didn't know if it would get through, but could find no other contact details. On Monday morning I delayed reading my email till 10.25, when I found a reply saying to ring at 10.30, or wait for two weeks. I was rushing round the office - fortunately had the digital recorder with me - looking for a phone with a loud speaker, in privacy. Our research degrees secretary was, as usual, helpful and I was suitably ensconced within 10 minutes, and able to do the interview.

Similarly, I'd sent an email to someone that was obviously waiting to speak to me and rang me at home the next day. Again, I was rushing around, trying to make sensible conversation, find my questions and switch on the recorder. Again, though it was a useful interview.

Now I'm still waiting, still negotiating via a secretary for access to another interviewee whose perspective is really important, and people keep telling me that interviewee will be pleased, delighted and eager to talk to me, but I don't know when.

Then there's a final interviewee who is someone I know already. I think I'll try to make contact there later in the summer, after the draft dissertation is in, so I don't distracted from the writing by the interview and the time that transcribing takes.

No comments: