Saturday, July 21, 2007

Analysing

I thought I might analyse the discourse from interviews against Werr et al's [1] two types of discourse: bureaucratic and network. I started out with a table:





Role Management of Consultants Example of discourse
CEO talked about process & strategy & outcomes"It's the funding which is something usually discussed with the individual and the cabinet member" and "there are contractual agreements"

Then I checked Miles and Huberman [2] had a role-ordered matrix, which in 15 minutes gave me a useful one page table of roles in the job, as primary,ultimate, intermediate clients. I've still to work out anything useful about recognising the types of discourse though.



[1]Werr, A, Styhre, A. 2002, Management Consultants – Friend or Foe? Understanding the ambiguous client-consultant relationship, International studies of Management and Organization, vol. 32, no. 4, winter 2002-3 pp43-66
[2] Miles, Huberman, 1994. Qualitative Data Analysis: an expanded source book, 2nd edition, Sage

No comments: