Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Nerves

Our Director of Research Studies tells me that I did really badly at the PhD interview and he had to dig me out of it. I'm not surprised because I have often have done badly at interviews despite having an excellent CV, appropriate for the position and a suitable covering letter written well enough to get on the short list. So what am I doing wrong?

DoRS suggests I'm answering too quickly without first working out what the question is getting at. He gave some suggestions:
  1. take a few deep breaths - well I used to do that when gliding and ended up hyperventilating at the top of a launch and about to faint, so no, that won't work for me.
  2. ask the questioner to repeat the question
  3. write it down. I like that suggestion, so I was thinking about, when I had gone there prepared mentally to write down questions, why I didn't. It was because there was so much stuff in front of me, the laptop, my notes and a mug of water, that I would have had to move, but I couldn't move them because I would have knocked over the water.

Which brings me to a physical problem - why would I have knocked over the water? Because my hands shake when I'm nervous. I probably couldn't have read my handwriting if I had written the questions, because my hands would have shaken too much! My mother has trembling hands, only noticeable when she pours the tea, and tells me it is a familial tremor. Well, it hits me when I have emotional stress. In order to take up the DoRS's advice, I'm first going to have to deal with the tremor, so no caffeine, nor ginseng which also makes me shake. I do like the comment that apparently alcohol reduces the tremor, but at interview perhaps no glass of wine.

The DoRS's fourth suggestion was that I practise over the next year, that my supervisors get me to offer seminars on my research. That way I'll reduce the stress through familiarity with the process of discussing and defending it.

No comments: